Max Hallgarten La Casta: The power of idea cross-pollination

Programme: PhD Student in Computational Astrodynamics, Year Three

Previous education: MEng, Aerospace Engineering with Study in Continental Europe, University of Bristol | Erasmus Exchange, Aerospace Engineering, Delft University of Technology | MSc, Space Science and Engineering: Space Technology, University College London

Favourite place in London: Hampstead Heath

Imperial and Programme

Why did you choose to study a PhD within the Department of Aeronautics at Imperial?

During my undergraduate studies I decided that I wanted to work on space-related research. I found astrodynamics particularly enjoyable, and a group project on a space debris removal mission emphasised the risks we face in ensuring continued access to space. When I saw the call for applications for my PhD, it seemed like a perfect fit.

My research group is young, having been established only a few months before I joined at the beginning of my studies. I saw my PhD as a great opportunity to be a part of the continuing development of space-related research at the College.

It is exciting to be part of a wider community which is conducting research across so many fields. Even within my own department, I enjoy hearing about the research being conducted in other topics, such as aerodynamics and structures. I am a big believer in the power of cross-pollination of ideas and the Imperial campus is an excellent facilitator for gaining experience from other fields.

What has been the greatest opportunity you’ve had at Imperial?

I had the opportunity to pause my studies early on in my PhD to work as a Research Assistant on the Artificial Intelligence for Space Surveillance and Tracking (AI4SST) project, funded by the UK Space Agency (UKSA). This work involved collaboration with the University of Strathclyde and D-Orbit, which was an invaluable experience of working with another academic institution and with industry. I had the pleasure of presenting results from the project at three different conferences across Europe which was a wonderful opportunity to meet others in the field and learn about their work.

Study and Research

What aspect of your PhD have been the most challenging so far?

The most challenging aspect so far has been time management. This is a common opinion with PhD students, and I remember it being raised many times when I was considering pursing postgraduate research. Nevertheless, there is plenty of support at the College, both through supervisors and tutors, and the Graduate School.

I have found that the aspect of time management also applies in the context of work-life balance. Pursuing a PhD often feels like it lies within a grey zone between studies and a job, therefore it is important to have a healthy balance.

Are you able to tell us a little bit about your research?

Due to the significant kinetic energies involved, collisions between objects in orbit have devastating impacts. In addition to destroying the objects directly involved in the collision, the generation of clouds of debris can endanger other objects. The “Kessler Syndrome” is a proposed scenario in which a runaway chain reaction of collisions could result in a catastrophic amount of debris being generated. Avoiding such a scenario is critical for our continued access to space.

The rise of the “New Space” era over the past decade has led to significant growth in the number of satellites in orbit. Subsequently, collision avoidance is becoming increasingly important. One of the main challenges in collision avoidance is predicting where satellites and other objects will be in the future, due to a combination of uncertainty in measurements of the current state of objects, and in the mathematical models used to make the predictions.

My research is in uncertainty quantification, specifically applied to astrodynamics. The objective is to improve our ability to make predictions of where satellites and other objects will be in the future, along with improved understanding in the level of confidence in the predictions.

What’s next?

What are your future career goals?

I am in the preliminary stages of career planning as I have time to consider my options before finishing my studies. Nevertheless, I am interested in entering the space industry, preferably working on something relating to astrodynamics, such as mission design or operations. One of the exciting parts of the industry is that it is expanding rapidly, however it can make it difficult to make specific long-term plans.

Words of wisdom

What advice do you have for prospective PhD students?

The main challenge with a PhD is the transition from the more shared experiences on a taught programme, to working more individually on research. It can be quite isolating, particularly within small research groups, therefore building relationships with others is very important. Recently, I have been increasing how often I work in my office, and it is immensely beneficial to be able to talk with my colleagues, even if completely unrelated to my research.

London

Give us your top 3 things to go/see/do in London.

One of my favourite aspects of London is the number of museums that have free admission, especially those where it extends to temporary exhibitions. If not, a Student Art Pass provides a discount to many paid exhibitions and often pays for itself in only one visit.

I would also recommend taking advantage of the music and theatre available in London, particularly given the prevalence of discounted tickets for under twenty-fives.

Finally, it can be quite enjoyable to see London’s landmarks from the river and taking one of the Thames Clippers through the centre can be a fun way of seeing the sights from a unique perspective.