János Plocher: Integrity, accountability, perseverance and resilience

PhD subject area: PhD in Fibre-reinforced additive manufacturing: From design guidelines to advanced lattice structures

PhD completion year: 2022

Current position: Senior Academic Development Manager, Ansys

Previous education: BSc Sports Engineering, Technical University Chemnitz | MSc Composites, Imperial College London

Alumni wisdom: Never give up – hard work will always pay off

Studying at Imperial

Why did you choose to study a PhD within the Department of Aeronautics at Imperial?

During the final weeks of my studies in the M.Sc. in Composites at Imperial (Dep. of Aeronautics), I knew that I would like to deepen my knowledge and technical skills in the field. Luckily, shortly after I started applying for research positions, the PhD opportunity with Dr Ajit Panesar arose.

This provided me with the chance to learn first-hand more on the funded project and to have a in-person interview. While the interest in the topic and sympathy with Ajit played the pivotal role in my decision, the department’s great reputation and top-notch research facilities also contributed to it.

What values from your studies have you carried into professional life/your career?

First and foremost, integrity, accountability as well as perseverance and resilience.

What has been the greatest benefit of achieving your PhD?

Being constantly challenged during your research (through learning and trying out theories, methods, tools, software, etc.) I have become unafraid and more efficient in picking up new skills/knowledge and applying it. The PhD taught me what critical thinking really means, expanding my discernment and valuation for research

The entire journey provided me with a whole other appreciation for the hard work that goes into research and into making novel and impactful contributions to the field. Ultimately, it provided me with contentment as this period helped me grow as a person.

What did you find inspiring at Imperial and why?

Imperial is full of smart people from all corners of the world, making for a great atmosphere and insightful conversations with new perspectives.

Career path and future goals

What are you currently doing and how has your PhD helped you achieve this?

In my current role as academic development manager, I (i) support academics in usage and of simulation software and its integration into the curriculum and research, (ii) organize, support, and run online and onsite events (guest lectures, webinars, etc.) to showcase Ansys solutions in academia, (iii) develop simulation-based resources (case studies, projects, demos, etc.) to showcase software capabilities and (iv) integrate customer feedback into the product development.

The PhD has helped me understand the workflows and common pain points academics are faced with, which helps to provide targeted assistance, and communicate technical content clear and concise to a public audience.

What has been your greatest achievement so far?

My greatest achievement in my ‘short’ time at Ansys and first professional role was being promoted to a senior position after quickly picking up multiple Ansys simulation tools related to structures application to engage with academics on multiple disciplines and to develop innovative teaching content to help inspire the next generation of engineers.

What are your future career goals?

I set myself the target to attain a leadership role in an innovative technology company that is driven to make valuable contributions to society. Moreover, I want to become a more ‘complete’ engineer, expanding my field of knowledge and skills into different physics through continuous professional development.

During this journey I am also striving to have a positive impact on the people I work with, become a role model/mentor, and continue to be a thought leader.

What excites you most about your current area of work?

It is exiting to meet so many different academics and students across EMEA and North America, learn from their research topics and ultimately share knowledge and provide support to help them succeed.

The role is fulfilling but also poses constantly poses new challenges, as you cater for different needs, making for an exciting and varied daily work.

London

What was your favourite thing about studying in London?

Similar to the atmosphere at Imperial, I enjoyed the multi-cultural side of London as well as the breadth of possibilities for recreational activities that such a vibrant city offers.

Wise words

Any advice for current PhD students?

My advice would be to find sustainable work-life balance and routine that that allows you to be efficient in your research but also provides sufficient scope to recharge. Doing a PhD is like running a marathon not a sprint.

On a personal note

What inspires you?

Nature – It is always a step ahead when it comes to creating highly efficient materials, structures and mechanism and is thus a great source of inspiration for advancing technology.

What is a motto you live life by?

You can do anything you set your mind to.

In your opinion, what’s the most important quality you hold that has allowed you to succeed?

My drive and determination to work hard.