Meet MDR’s mental health first aiders – Dr Joram Posma

Dr Joram Posma

To coincide with Mental Health Awareness Week 2024, we spoke with MDR’s mental health first aiders about their role and the support they can offer. In our first profile, we hear from Dr Joram Posma, a Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Informatics from the Section of Bioinformatics.

What is the role of a Mental Health First Aider (MHFA)?

We are there as a confidential, first point of contact when people are experiencing issues (mental ill health) regarding their mental health. The first two important aspects are to assess if the person I am talking to is at harm and to listen non-judgementally. While talking with someone I can give reassurances and information about mental (ill) health and encourage them to call on the support of professionals by signposting them to support services if they feel as if this would benefit them, as well as to encourage self-help. This last aspect is not to be overlooked because when people actively contact a MHFA, they have already done some self-assessment.

What motivated you to become a MHFA?

I am a personal tutor for the MRes in Biomedical Research, section rep for PhD student ESAs and LSRs, and I supervise students and staff in my role as an academic – all of which happen in a supporting role. This meant I get into contact with many people that may experience mental ill health at times. I wanted to do the training to know better how I can provide support, and especially what type of support is appropriate at what times.

What is the most rewarding thing about being a MHFA?

For me this is a long-term thing, it is seeing people that came to talk to me in confidence with something they are struggling with, have a positive change to their mental health over time. In my teaching or supervision roles, this could be seeing somebody get back their ‘oomph’.

What sort of person should become a MHFA?

I would first say that no person should, it is voluntary. But anybody who wants to support others, and wants to learn more about different aspects of mental health, could benefit. I certainly learned plenty during the course run by Imperial’s EDI team.

What would your advice be to someone who thinks they could have a mental health issue?

Find a person you can trust, this can be a friend, colleague or someone not in your direct circle of contacts such as a MHFA if you feel less comfortable talking about potentially sensitive and personal situations and issues with people you know well, and talk with your confidant about what you believe is happening. You can identify MHFAs by our green lanyards, as well as via the Imperial website (search ‘Imperial MHFA’).

How can people in the Department contact you if they need support?

They can send me an email, Teams message or simply drop by my office in Burlington Danes (E305) at the Hammersmith Campus.

MDR’s Mental Health First Aiders

Do you want to become a Mental Health First Aider?

Our Mental Health First Aid courses teach people to identify common symptoms of mental health issues, offer first-line help and guide a person towards support. Mental Health First Aid training is available for staff who are involved in supporting colleagues or students.

Imeprial’s Mental Health Awareness Week 2024

Mental Health Awareness Week 2024 will take place at Imperial from 13 to 17 May. This is an annual event where there is an opportunity to focus on supporting good mental health. The event has become one of the biggest awareness weeks across the UK and globally.

There is an extensive programme of events across the week open to staff and students, organised by the People and Organisational Development team – full listings are on the Mental Health Awareness Week webpage.