Drama at Imperial: Act II

Coming to you from mid-way through play week.

Picking up where I left off in the last blog post; as the Autumn Play was happening, Freshers’ Play was also a thing! So each year, older years in drama get together to direct (and sometimes even write) 3 short plays featuring the freshers. I remember genuinely freaking out because one of the plays were improv meaning the audition would be too. Honestly ended up having an absolute blast- and got one of the leads. I played a (largely-drunken) drama fresher who was couch-surfing because she had been kicked out of halls. Good times. 

Right after Freshers’ and Autumn play, came Christmas play- wahey! Literally auditions for this began the day after The Last Days of Judas Iscariot (Autumn play) ended. We did Almost, Maine by John Cariani. Absolutely not biased opinion but it was the cutest, and most heart-warming thing ever. We set up blankets, pillows, fairy-lights, and served hot chocolate! This was a special one for me- I not only got to act in it, but I was also asked to be producer by the (in)famous drama twins Eri and Yuri. So much love for themmm.

Main play auditions actually began on the same day as Christmas play. Rehearsals started in January and fast forward to March- we’re just past half way through play week! The Crucible by Arthur Miller is a dark masterpiece filled with witchcraft and possession, small-town drama and adultery, topped off with lots of shouting and screaming. It’s been intense for all of cast and crew, but there’s nothing else we’d rather be doing. Especially work- so much procrastination, it’s great. 

However, with another play week coming close to an end, I introduce you to post-play week blues. After growing accustomed to showing up for makeup and costumes, some class acting, dressing-room pints, and just bonding really- you’re left feeling somewhat empty. A bit like after you finish a TV show; it’s like, what do I do with my life now? Look forward to the next play, of course. 

Joining ICSM Drama was easily one of the best decisions in my life. The love and support I’ve received from everyone, especially the older years, have been endless. I adore everyone in drama to bits and I can’t imagine not having them in my life.

Come catch The Crucible 07-10 March, 2018 at UCH, Beit Quad 18:30. 
Drama love all round and hope to see you there!

Sending love and best wishes (before I head off for night 3 of play week)!
Alex (:

P.s. Sorry for the GIF deficiency this time round- promise I’ll be back with more next post!