Maintaining motivation at medical school

I am currently in my third year of medical school and the road has definitely been up and down in terms of enthusiasm for the course. In all honesty I at times envy those who seem to have this consistent and unbreakable passion for Medicine and its extracurriculars. There have been times I’m in love with it; I see this being what I need to do. I meet patients and I just can’t imagine doing anything else with my days from the conversations had and the gratitude received. The way we navigate conversations with individuals opening a side many people maybe rarely ever see. Having said this there are days where the sacrifice doesn’t seem worth the volume of it all.

My initial excitement for Medicine at Imperial was easy in first year. This excitement derived from a kind of ‘wow I’ve made it’ mentality; my at times perception of slaving, self-doubt, doubt from others and failures had been shunned away from securing this top university place. So with all that being said, there’s been joy in learning the material; it feels deserved and I’ve have to make sure I wouldn’t lose what I worked so hard to get.

Nonetheless during my second year I really started to feel this sense of medicine overwhelming my life at times. I once had a conversation with a friend telling me I was in full control to be doing what I wanted with my life even in the given moments where I had no interest in what I was learning – and I just didn’t believe this. I’d have no control until I specialised and even then, would I not be bound by this system too many doctors often seem to be mistreated by?

Ultimately, the demotivation never lasts and here’s why: your foundations for wanting to study medicine should be deeply rooted. I wanted a profession where I would be helping people and be well respected for my efforts. The latter is definitely a little more narcissistic but I personally combat this through my personal beliefs with God. This idea is that because my primary foundations were ones that wouldn’t be altered no matter the financial situations of junior doctors, the drive remains. I would encourage anyone who at times feels incredibly fed up or even questions whether they have the ability to graduate this course – you can. Remember to focus mainly on your own strategy and work style. It can be healthy to see what other students are doing but ultimately you got here through your own flair and you’ll go through the course with that same individual mindset.

You’ll be fine.