Charting my course: Five considerations in pursuit of a Master’s degree

Written by Romita Trehan, MSc Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology

As a budding scientist venturing into the captivating realm of biosciences and biotechnology, I, a passionate student, embarked on an extraordinary academic expedition. Armed with a bachelor’s degree in microbiology from the University of Delhi, my next daring endeavour was to pursue an MSc in Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology from the prestigious Imperial College London. But before leaping headfirst into this scientific odyssey, I meticulously pondered five crucial considerations that would shape my path: 

1. Unveiling the perfect specialisation: Amidst the vast ocean of knowledge, I dove deep, exploring the nooks and crannies of biosciences. Synthetic Biology, Systems and Bioinformatics, and Genetic Engineering beckoned, each whispering tales of intriguing possibilities. It was crucial to discover the specialisation that resonated with my curiosity and career aspirations, broadening my knowledge to a wider range of topics apart from Microbiology.  
  2. Forging ahead with career vision: Armed with an insatiable thirst for scientific discovery, I envisioned the myriad of career opportunities that would await me upon completing my Master’s degree. I embarked on a research expedition to gauge the industry’s demand for skilled professionals in applied biosciences and biotechnology, ensuring that my chosen path aligned harmoniously with the job market. 
  3. Imperial College London: The epitome of scientific excellence. I found myself captivated by the stellar reputation of Imperial College London. With its legendary faculty, ultramodern research facilities, and fruitful industry collaborations, it is the mecca for aspiring scientists like me. Choosing to pursue my Master’s degree at this esteemed institution promised a transformative learning experience. 
  4. Curricular quest: The quest for knowledge. Armed with a thirst for knowledge, I embarked on a quest to unravel the secrets of the MSc course in Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology. Every twist and turn of the curriculum beguiled me, luring me deeper into the labyrinth of innovative techniques, emerging trends, and hands-on experiences. I sought the perfect blend of theory and practice to unlock my full potential. 
  5. Turning dreams into reality. Alas, the journey to a Master’s degree involved financial ingenuity. With the lack of a scholarship, I delved into the art of financial strategising, concocting a plan to make my dreams possible. Part-time work, student loans, budgeting, and a sprinkle of resourcefulness in seeking other funding sources all played their part in shaping my plan. 

Armed with these considerations, I embarked on my Master’s degree expedition in Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology, ready to conquer new frontiers, unravel scientific mysteries, and leave an indelible mark in the annals of scientific advancement. This journey epitomised my passion, ambition, and determination to thrive in the captivating world of biosciences.