Meet the team: Bioengineering’s Student Support team

In the Meet the Team series, we’ll be introducing to staff and students the people behind the teams in our Professional Services Staff that help keep the Bioengineering department running smoothly. We’ll gain an insight into each team member, what their roles are within their team and what they get up to when they’re not at Imperial!

This month, we’ll be meeting the department’s Student Support team. The Student Support team aims to deliver efficient support services that facilitate a seamless student journey. They do this by supporting effective networks between academics and students and enabling the best academic and pastoral care.

•Sarah Owenson: Head of Student Programmes

Sarah’s responsibilities are:

Portrait of Sarah Owenson. Sarah is wearing a blue and white striped top and glasses. Managing the successful delivery of teaching support across the whole student lifecycle
Developing teaching timetables
Implementing and monitoring the department’s teaching programmes
Ensuring that our teaching and assessment processes are efficient
Developing and implementing teaching policies
Line managing the Student Office team
Student support for MSc students 

An interesting fact ​about Sarah is that she used to play the bagpipes! 

Jayne Shaw: Admissions and Outreach Manager

I am the Admissions & Outreach Manager for the department and am kept busy managing our undergraduate and Postgraduate taught admission cycles as well as supporting and developing outreach events/activities to raise awareness of our courses, with the aim of enabling students from all backgrounds to make an informed choice about their future studies. I work with our excellent admissions team, supporting students through the whole application process, managing shortlisting, UG interview days and all queries related to this.

I also manage our outreach provision which is very much a department team effort as we look to engage with students, especially those under-represented on our courses, their teachers/schools, families, and the public. We deliver a range of activities including summer schools, academic talks to schools and department tours. These are supported by staff and our fantastic student ambassadors. If you would like to find out more about outreach or would like to get involved do not hesitate to contact me. I love to chat!

Sandra Roscoe: Student Wellbeing Adviser and Departmental Disability Officer 

Hello, I’m Sandra, the Student Wellbeing Adviser and Departmental Disability Officer (students). Any student in the department can contact me to arrange a confidential chat about whatever is on their mind. I work very flexibly depending on what someone needs. I also liaise with staff members where there are wellbeing concerns and facilitate recommendations from the disability service. Before I joined in the department in 2019, I worked in the NHS for about eighteen years. I live with my family in South East London and try (with varying success) to grow as much as possible in our tiny garden.

Ian Radcliffe: Senior Teaching Fellow

As a Senior Teaching Fellow, I run the 2nd year engineering design project module now known as Design and Professional Practice 2. On the module, we assist students in designing and developing solutions to real world engineering problems, usually focused on assistive technology and frugal healthcare.  Through these projects we teach students some of the transferable skills that will make them fully rounded engineers, such as presentation skills and team working.  I teach on several MSc modules introducing students to the product development process and techniques for generating concepts.

I also work with Jayne Shaw with Admissions by reviewing student applications for the Undergraduate and MSc programs to determine which students receive interviews and what offers students will get.

As part of my role, I am on the Departmental Teaching Committee and I am currently working towards an MEd in University Learning and Teaching so that I can better advise on good teaching practice within the department.

Little known fact: I built my eldest daughter a Proton Pack so that she could be a Ghostbuster for Halloween.

Nicole Harbert: Teaching Operations Manager (Taught Courses)

Nicole’s responsibilities are:
Managing the delivery of UG and MSc Programmes
Managing welcome week events and timetabling 
Managing all aspects of the TRA process through the academic year
Corresponding with external examiner
Line managing and supporting the UG and MSc taught student administrators
Student welfare
Student office support for third year undergraduate students 

Krisztina Lackoi: Postgraduate Research Student Programmes Manager

Krisztina’s responsibilities are:

Managing the delivery of our MRes and PhD programmes
Managing welcome week timetabling and activities
MRes exam boards
MRes and PhD student handbooks
Line managing, supporting, and developing the Postgraduate Research Administrator role
GTA allocations 

Julie Hoang: Learning Technologist

Julie’s responsibilities are:

Portrait of Julie Hoang. Julie is sat smiling in front of a blue backdrop. She is wearing a grey jumper over a white shirt and black jeans.Supporting and guiding students in using the learning technologies
Promoting the use of e-learning and digital tools
Assisting with the planning, design, and development of high-quality e-learning resources
Student and academic staff enquiries
TRAs during Jan and May (online platforms)
Supporting the  delivery of remote teaching and learning

A fun fact about Julie is that she spent some time during lockdown converting a workman’s van into a camper for trips around the UK.

Sam Harbert: Senior Student Administrator

Portrait of Samantha HerbertI work Monday to Wednesday as a Senior Student Administrator and Student Office Support for Year 1 and 2. I have been working for the Department since 2015, I have had two maternity leaves during that time but as soon as I return it’s like I never left, it’s all systems go in our office! There are a lot of yearly tasks that we complete as a team such as the production of student handbooks, enrolling students during Welcome week. During the exam months we set-up, run and process the examinations so that all the information is ready for the Exam Boards later in the year.

In addition to this my main administrative responsibilities focus on Undergraduate coursework and the systems used to track and record this data. I also process mitigating circumstances applications and update students on their outcomes once the board have made a decision. I am also one of the main contacts for Year 1 and 2, the other contact is Will Wrigley who I job share with. So, if you are a 1st or 2nd year student and you have a query either course related or not, we are the people to contact 😊.

Little known fact about me- I love watching anything to do with Crime on TV. Crime dramas, crime documentaries, you name it…I LOVE it! I’m also a little obsessed with David Attenborough and Mary Berry, I think they are national treasures!

Will Wrigley: Senior Student Administrator

Will’s responsibilities are:

Portrait of Will WrigleyCoursework, projects and updating the learning technology related to those for UG taught courses
Processing mitigating circumstances applications
Student Office Support for Year 1 and 2
Setting up and processing of TRAs during January and May
Moderation and Exam Board support
Assisting with Project Presentation days
Enrolling students during Welcome week and supporting events
Producing UG student handbooks
Updating the course administration section of the website

Jayne Stringer: Postgraduate Research Administrator

Jayne’s responsibilities are:

Portrait of Jayne StringerPostgraduate researcher induction and onboarding including Welcome week and events
Being the first port of call for all postgraduate research enquiries from students and staff
Postgraduate research milestone administration
Tier 4 (now Student Visa Route) monitoring
MRes/PhD student handbooks
Updating course administration web pages
Wider Student Office support including TRAs from January to May

Mary Ewumi: Senior Student Administrator (Admissions) 

Mary’s responsibilities are:

Student admissions administration for Undergraduate, Postgraduate taught, Postgraduate Research and PhD Programmes
TRAs during Jan and May
Student office support for iBSc students
iBSc project presentation days 
Recruitment materials (brochures, merchandise, online material) 
Supporting our Admissions Manager with Open Days and other admissions tasks.
Recruitment of student helpers 
iBSc student handbooks
Scholarship administration for Undergraduate, Postgraduate taught and PhD students

Daze Osuide: Student Administrator 

Daze Osuide joined the department in 2018 as a full-time Student Administrator. The role has since developed to include support for Masters students across the three MSc Taught degree programmes. The core duties of this role include, acting as the secretary of the termly Student Staff Committee meetings (SSCMs), producing attendance reports on UG and MSc students who hold a Tier 4 Visa, processing requests for the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP), working with the group and individual Project Officers to plan and deliver the annual Group and Individual Project Presentation days in June​ and production of the MSc student handbooks.

Together with the Student Office team, Daze also supports the following tasks:

• Coursework, projects and learning technology relating to MSc programmes.
  • Set-up and process in-person exams and timed-remote assessments (TRAs) during January and May.
  • Data collation for the Undergraduate and Postgraduate Exam Boards.
  • Annual Welcome Week.
  • General student enquiries