In profile: Amy Rimmer, Department Operations Assistant

In the latest instalment of our Staff Profile series, we spoke to new starter Amy Rimmer about her role as Department Operations Assistant.

Introduce yourself – who are you and what do you do?

I’m Amy Rimmer, the new Department Operations Assistant for DoID. I’ll be working with Ruth and the team to support on HR, finance, grants and lots of other operational projects that come up – by the sounds of things, no two days will be the same, which is what I enjoy the most.

When did you start at Imperial, and where were you working before this?

I’m completely new to Imperial, having started in mid-September. I used to work at LSE in the Students’ Union as an Office Manager, overseeing office operations, HR and supporting the Comms team. Although the role was within Higher Education, it’s completely different to the work carried out here at the College, and I think it’s going to be fascinating to be a part of.

What are your first impressions of the College and the Department?

Everyone so far has been super friendly and helpful as I try to navigate things and take in a lot of new information. Also, that I have lots and lots of acronyms to learn!

What aspect of your new role are you most excited about?

Immersing myself into working in a more academic and research-based Higher Education environment. So far, it’s a whole other world compared to what working in a Student Union entails.

When you’re not working, what are your main passions and hobbies?

I play a lot of netball for a London club as well as follow sports in general, particularly my beloved football team, Liverpool. I also love cooking, eating out and a good old trip to the pub.

If you were exiled to a desert island but allowed one luxury item, what would it be?

A decent supply of snacks so I don’t get too hangry!

And finally: what’s one thing you’d like staff in the Department to know about you or your role that we haven’t already covered?

Some of you may have already very briefly met me whilst I’ve been carrying out an audit of computers and phones with Sharron. I’ve still got a fair bit to cover, so if I pop into your office I’ll be sure to be as quick and as friendly as possible.