We asked each Division in the Department to share with us their key achievements as part of our end of year roundup. Here are the contributions from Experimental Medicine. Well done everyone!
- The Haemostasis Lab (Drs Jim Crawley, Josefin Ahnstroem, Rens de Groot and Isabelle Salles-Crawley) were collectively awarded £2m in BHF funding in April this year.
- Professor Anastasios Karadimitris received £250k funding from the Excellence Fund for Frontier Research (EFFR) to investigate engineering specialised immune cells to induce a potential cure for HIV infection.
- Professor Karadimitris also received a £124k award from the Imperial BRC.
- Dr Richard Kelwick was awarded a Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE) Enterprise Fellowship
- Professor Lan Zhao obtained a £165k BHF project grant
- Professor Dale Wigley successfully renewed his Wellcome Trust Investigator Award.
- Dr Nichola Cooper was awarded a £50k Imperial College Healthcare Charity Research Fellowship Award
- Professor Xiaodong Zhang was awarded a £2m Wellcome Trust Investigator Award, and a £1m BBSRC research grant.
- Professor Paul Freemont was awarded £406k as part of a collaboration with the University of Cambridge.
- Professor Freemont was also recognised for his leadership in synthetic biology at the Engineering Biology Awards, presented at the SynBioBETA Conference.
Notable manuscripts and papers
- ‘Rapid acquisition and model-based analysis of cell-free transcription–translation reactions from nonmodel bacteria’ by Simon J. Moore, James T. MacDonald, et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. Read the Imperial news article on the paper.
- International GWAS of PAH identifying two novel disease loci published in The Lancet Respiratory Medicine (Rhodes et al. online 5 Dec 2018)
- Vahitha B. Abdul-Salam; Giusy Russomanno; Chen Chen-Nien, PhD; Abdul S Mahomed; Martin R. Wilkins; Lan Zhao1; Magdalena Gierula; Oliver Dubois; Ute Schaeper, PhD; Jens Endruschat; and Beata Wojciak-Stothard. CLIC4/Arf6 pathway – a new lead in BMPRII inhibition in pulmonary hypertension. Circulation Resesarch, 2018, in press
- Binoy Paulose Nadappuram,Paolo Cadinu, Avijit Barik,Alexander J. Ainscough, Michael J. Devine,Minkyung Kang, Jorge Gonzalez-Garcia,1 Keith R. Willison,1 Ramon Vilar, Paolo Actis, Beata Wojciak-Stothard, Sang-Hyun Oh, Aleksandar P. Ivanov, and Joshua B. Edel. Nanoscale tweezers for Single Cell Biopsies. Nature Nanotechnology, 2018, in press. Read the press release.
- ‘An engineered, quantifiable in vitro model for analysing the effect of proteostasis-targeting drugs on tissue physical properties’ by Sandra Loaiza, Silvia A.Ferreira et al., Biomaterials.
- ‘Bi-directional cell-pericellular matrix interactions direct stem cell fate’ by Silvia Ferreira, Meghna Motwani, et al. Nature Communications. Read the press release.