ESE Spotlight: Mandy Li, Metals and Energy Finance MSc alumna

Picture of Mandy Li from graduation, alumna from the Metals and Energy Finance MSc.

Mandy Li completed an MSc in Metals and Energy Finance at the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial, where she developed technical and financial skills that apply to the appraisal of mining and energy projects.

She was awarded the Women in Mining UK scholarship for Women in Metals and Energy Finance in 2021, and she is currently working as an Analyst at Resource Capital Funds. In this blog post, we find out more about Mandy’s experience at Imperial, and how it helped her in her career journey.

Can you tell us more about your current job role and the company you work for?

Currently, I am working as an Analyst at a mining-focused private equity firm in London where I assess mining opportunities and determine the viability of investment prospects within the sector.

What sparked your interest in the Metals and Energy sector?

My interest in the Metals and Energy sector originated during my undergraduate studies in Geology. Various internships within mining finance and research spaces further nurtured this interest, particularly in understanding the sector’s significance in the global energy transition agenda.

Why did you choose to study the Metals and Energy Finance MSc at Imperial?

I chose to pursue the Metals and Energy Finance MSc at Imperial College London due to its renowned reputation for academic excellence and extensive industry connections. The programme’s tailored curriculum and practical focus provided the essential skills necessary for success within the Metals and Energy Finance sector.

What was your favourite part of the MSc course?

One of the most rewarding aspects of the MSc course was the two-week field trip to visit mines in Fennoscandia. This experience allowed us to consolidate theoretical knowledge with real-life observations of mining operations, providing invaluable insights.

Are there any particular skills or learnings from the MSc that you have carried into your career?

The MSc equipped me with a diverse range of skills, including discounted cash flow modelling, risk analysis, and strategic decision-making, all of which have proven invaluable in my career.

How did studying at Imperial help you achieve your career goals?

Studying at Imperial not only provided me with a comprehensive learning experience but also expanded my networking opportunities within the industry. This facilitated internships and ultimately led to my current role in London’s mining finance sector.

What is your fondest memory of your time with us?

My fondest memory at Imperial College London was the vibrant campus atmosphere and the immersive field trips that brought classroom learning to life.

How did receiving the Women in Mining scholarship impact your studies? In what ways did it enhance your experience at Imperial?

Receiving the Women in Mining scholarship was a tremendous honour and privilege. It provided access to networking events, mentorship opportunities, and exposure to inspirational women in the field, thereby empowering me to excel academically and professionally.

What advice would you give to anyone currently completing the Metals and Energy Finance MSc, and to those thinking about applying?

My advice to current students completing the Metals and Energy Finance MSc is to fully engage with the programme’s offerings, seize every opportunity for experiential learning and professional development, and build meaningful connections within the industry. For prospective applicants, thorough research into the programme curriculum, faculty expertise, and career outcomes is crucial to ensure alignment with academic and professional goals.

What has been your greatest career highlight so far?

One of my greatest career highlights thus far has been able to attend investor conferences, where I had the opportunity to meet industry professionals and learn about exciting upcoming projects in the sector.

If you are interested in a scholarship for the MSc Metals and Energy Finance course, visit ESE’s website to access the application form and for more information on eligibility criteria: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/earth-science/prosp-students/pg-courses/studentships/