ESE Spotlight: Sandra Alarcón, Metals and Energy Finance MSc student

Profile picture of Sandra Alarcon Escobar, Metals and Energy Finance MSc student.
Sandra is completing an MSc in Metals and Energy Finance at the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial. With more than a decade of experience in the natural resources and energy sectors, she joined Imperial in October 2023, after being awarded the BMO Scholarship for Women in Metals and Energy Finance.

This Scholarship has been offered by ESE for nine consecutive years and provides financial aid to help students who demonstrate exceptional academic merit and/or potential continue with their studies, and support equality, diversity, and inclusion by helping these students get on a path to success.

In this interview, we find out more about Sandra’s experience at Imperial so far, her career journey, what led her to the MSc in Metals and Energy Finance, and her advice for students thinking of applying for the course next year.

What was your background before joining Imperial?

I am a civil industrial engineer from the University of Concepcion and MBA from the University of Chile.

What sparked your interest in the Natural Resources sector?

In the last year of my undergraduate degree, I went to visit El Teniente (Codelco) underground mine. It was like love at first sight. I would never have thought that, hundreds of kilometres underground, there was a city producing one of the most important metals in the world.

Why did you choose to study at the Department of Earth Science & Engineering at Imperial?

I wanted to have more technical knowledge related to mining and this for me is one of the best programmes worldwide, mixing technical knowledge with business.

How have you found the Metals and Energy Finance course so far?

It is demanding and challenging, but at the same time very entertaining and very close to the real-world work. We have classes from well-known people in the industry, which makes it very interesting.

What’s your favourite part of your course and of studying at Imperial more generally?

My favourite part of studying at Imperial is how multicultural the student body is here. It has allowed me to learn about different countries and cultures, some of which are very different from my own.

My favourite part of my MSc programme is that we are a group of 30 people, which makes it feel like a big family.

A group of students during a Metals and Energy Finance MSc field trip stand in front of the sea, wearing helmets.

How has the BMO scholarship helped you with your studies?

I am very grateful. The scholarship has been a great help for me to be able to a study here at ESE, and, at the same time, I feel that it has been a recognition of my career in the copper mining industry.

What would you like to do after you graduate?

That is a difficult question to answer, on the one hand I would like to go back to my country and put into practice everything I have learnt, however, on the other hand I would like to stay in London for a few years working in something related to the mining or energy industry.

How will studying at ESE and Imperial help you achieve your goals?

Studying in one of the world’s most renowned programmes in the mining industry and also studying at one of the most prestigious and multicultural universities in the world gives me a global view of the business, which, in turn, will allow me to perform better in my future work projects.

What advice would you give to anyone thinking about applying for the Metals and Energy Finance MSc?

They should do it, especially for women. Do not miss the opportunity to study here at Imperial. The learning you receive allows you to have a much broader vision and to get to know different cultures – and also the opportunity to live in London!

What are your fellow classmates least likely to know about you?

I have a collection of the book “The Little Price” in different languages. Every country I travel to, I buy one translated into the local language, or my friends bring me different editions as a gift from their travels. My favourite editions are the ones in the languages of the native people of Chile. The first one is in mapudungu and is of the mapuche people and the second one is in Rapa Nui, the language of the people of Easter Island.

If you are interested in a scholarship for the MSc Metals and Energy Finance course, visit ESE’s website to access the application form and for more information on eligibility criteria: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/earth-science/prosp-students/pg-courses/studentships/