#ChooseToChallenge: Celebrating IGHI’s women and championing change

At the Institute of Global Health Innovation, we’re proud to have a community that includes a diverse range of women working in various disciplines.

Yet today, gender bias and inequality are still an issue in society. As of 2019, only 28% of women were holding managerial positions globally which was almost the same proportion as in 1995.

In support of International Women’s Day and Women@Imperial Week, we asked some of our talented female staff members what they would like to challenge in healthcare and academia. 

Woman holding one hand up for International Women's DayCo-producing in digital health

“This International Women’s Day, I choose to challenge digital health tools and solutions that aren’t developed with the end users in mind and may therefore exacerbate health inequalities.

“I challenge everyone to embrace and seek out co-production opportunities in developing solutions that best meet patient needs and preferences. It’s important we all ensure these actions move beyond being tick-box exercises.”

Meric Oztap, Assistant Teaching Fellow, NHS Digital Academy 

Support for working parents

“I want to challenge the perceptions people hold of working parents. I had a baby during my PhD in clinical research at Imperial. During pregnancy, and throughout, I’ve benefitted from great support from my supervisors Prof Catherine Urch and Dr Stephanie Archer, and Prof Ara Darzi’s research managers within IGHI and the Department of Surgery and Cancer. I’m now juggling motherhood and a final year PhD. Parenting or other caring responsibilities should not be a barrier to PhDs – they bring experience. You can pursue your academic and career goals with the right support.”

Dr Anna-Maria Bielinska, Clinical Research Fellow, Helix Centre

Woman holding up hand for International Women's DayInclusive digital technologies

“I challenge healthcare providers, researchers, designers, community organisations and patients to come together to develop inclusive digital technologies for healthcare. Diverse and multidisciplinary teams are critical to find innovative ways to improve the digital experience both for providers and patients – and, importantly, to deliver high-quality, safe and equitable digital solutions, that leave no one behind.”

Dr Ana Luisa Neves, Associate Director and Advanced Research Fellow, NIHR Imperial Patient Safety Translational Research Centre