IGHI people: Meet Professor Ferdinando Rodriguez y Baena, Co-Director, Hamlyn Centre

IGHI is home to a team of staff who are skilled and passionate about their roles. Our talented people are the reason we’re able to tackle some of the most pressing global health challenges through cutting-edge innovation.

We’re giving you the chance to get to know our staff a little better and learn about what motivates them in their roles, who inspires them and what they like to get up to outside of IGHI.

Meet Ferdinando Rodriguez y Baena, co-director of IGHI’s Hamlyn Centre and Professor of Medical Robotics. Find out more about Ferdinando’s passion for engineering and medicine and his love for food!

What does your role involve?

As the engineering co-director of the Hamlyn Centre, I work with Professor Ara Darzi to deliver the strategy we have set out, keep our finances in check, and look for new ways to expand our remit, reach and impact.

What attracted you to the role?

The opportunity to influence a research field that is close to my heart. I was also attracted by the chance to build tighter links between engineering and medicine, which I think are key to understanding what is needed to translate research successfully and achieve clinical impact.

How would your colleagues describe you in three words?

Caring, funny, and with integrity.

What’s your biggest achievement to date – personal or professional?

The impossible question… remaining sane while juggling family life and career in a working couple household!

Who inspires you?

Amazing people that no one knows about.

If you had a superpower, what would it be?

Definitely teletransportation!

What’s your guilty pleasure?

Definitely food! Mrs and I are definitely foodies. Was it not for my discipline and self-control, I would most definitely be rolling into work!