IGHI people: Meet Roberto Fernandez Crespo, Analytics Fellow, Big Data and Analytical Unit

Man with glasses smiling with shelves of files in the backgroundIGHI is home to a team of staff who are skilled and passionate about their roles. Our talented people are the reason we’re able to tackle some of the most pressing global health challenges through cutting-edge innovation.

We’re giving you the chance to get to know our staff a little better and learn about what motivates them in their roles, who inspires them and what they like to get up to outside of IGHI.

Meet Roberto Fernandez Crespo, analytics fellow at our Big Data and Analytical Unit (BDAU). Find out more about Roberto and the variety of projects he supports.

What does your role involve?

I’m an analytics fellow at the BDAU, so I get to be involved in quite a few different projects, most of which involve data analytics. When I first started this role, I worked on a report we created in collaboration with EY in which we looked at how health and human service organisations could implement data and analytics into their day-to-day work. I also helped set up part of the analytical work that came out of IGHI’s COVID-19 behaviour tracker survey and created a dashboard so people could explore the survey results.

I’ve also collaborated with IGHI’s NIHR Imperial Patient Safety Translational Research Centre in a few different projects as well as with other groups at the Institute. I’m lucky I get to be involved in different projects which are not always ’traditionally academic’.

What attracted you to the role?

The potential for real-world impact of the work done. I think IGHI is in a place that combines academia, policy and healthcare really well.

How would your colleagues describe you in three words?

After asking my colleagues (and cherry-picking results!): analytical, collaborative, antithetically dull.

What’s your biggest achievement to date – personal or professional?

Finishing my PhD. All PhDs are a bit of an uphill battle, but you learn lots of skills that you can apply later on. But hopefully, there will be bigger challenges in the future!

Who inspires you?  

People who fight and stand up for what is right and inspire people to change for the better. If I had to give an example of somebody recently, I would say US politician, Stacey Abrams.

If you had a superpower, what would it be?  

Being able to fly would be the best power I think. You get to enjoy travelling and you don’t have to deal with airlines.

What’s your guilty pleasure?

I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. If you enjoy something, more power to you. But if I had to pick something I would say dog memes.