Using design thinking to solve healthcare challenges – studying our MSc in Healthcare and Design

A healthcare and design team drawing on paper

Through our Master’s in Healthcare and Design, we aim to enable creative thinkers and change-makers to drive forward innovative, human-centred approaches to healthcare service delivery. If you want to lead innovation in healthcare systems, services and spaces, this is the course for you. To find out what it’s like to study with us, we caught up with Jeremy Chui, one of our alumni, who was awarded a distinction for this programme. Read on to explore some of the design projects that he worked on during his studies.

Combining medicine and design

MSc Healthcare and Design student Jeremy looking at the camera
Jeremy

“Hi, my name is Jeremy, and I currently work as an emergency medicine doctor in London. I am also a Clinical Entrepreneur Fellow at NHS England and a registered practitioner at the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care. I joined Imperial College London in 2019 and recently graduated with a distinction level MSc in Healthcare and Design.

“Although I have a medical background, I also worked as a front-end engineer and user experience designer within startups before joining the MSc course. This programme provided an excellent opportunity for me to learn from talented individuals from multi-disciplinary backgrounds and combine my interests in medicine and design.

“I worked on a number of projects during my time at Imperial. Here are some examples of the challenges that we were presented with.”

Design and Innovation Project

“My team and I were tasked with improving accessibility for patients with macular degeneration. Macular degeneration damages the central part of our vision, leaving our peripheral vision unaffected. We therefore designed an attachment for glasses to assimilate and project information from their central vision to their peripheries.”

Image of the design of the glasses attachment
The design for the glasses attachment

Design for Behaviour Change Project

“During this module, my team focused on the psychological theory of behaviour change and the COM-B model of behaviour (Capability, Opportunity and Motivation). We developed and prototyped a tool utilising machine learning to recognise and suggest improvements to posture during video calls.”

A screenshot of the prototype
An example of the posture-improving software prototype

Study our MSc in Healthcare and Design

Do you want to join us and use design thinking to solve problems in healthcare? Our MSc in Healthcare and Design is now open for applications, offering a hybrid teaching model so that you can learn flexibly at your own pace. Find out more about this course and how to apply on our website.