Health Policy MSc Q&A with Mizan Musahid

The Health Policy MSc at Imperial College London is led by the Institute of Global Health Innovation. Mizan Musahid, a Health Policy Master’s student, shares his experience of the programme.

Mizan Musahid sits with laptop
Mizan Musahid, Health Policy MSc student

What’s your academic background? What did you study for your undergraduate degree?

Mizan Musahid (MM): I studied Law for my undergraduate degree, which developed my skills in critical thinking, structured analysis, and crafting arguments which are key skills for effective policy development. During my studies, I also took part in pro bono work, providing commercial and criminal legal advice to individuals who couldn’t afford costly legal fees. This experience deepened my commitment to ensuring access to justice for all, not just those who can afford it.

Why did you apply for the Health Policy MSc at Imperial?

MM: Part of the Policy and Strategy specialism within the NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme required studying the Health Policy MSc at Imperial, as it is essential for my development as a healthcare policymaker. The comprehensive curriculum at Imperial perfectly aligns with my goal of gaining a deeper understanding of health systems and policies. This program equips me with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate the complexities of health policy, enabling me to make informed decisions that can improve healthcare delivery and equity.

“The course has given me a deeper understanding of healthcare systems and equipped me with tools to help me think strategically about policy development, stakeholder engagement, and how to address social determinants of health.”
– Mizan Musahid, Health Policy MSc student

What do you enjoy most about the course?

MM: I particularly enjoy the interdisciplinary approach, which draws on various areas such as economics, public health, and behavioural science. The course has a dynamic structure, combining theoretical learning with real-world case studies that resonate with my current work in the NHS, where policy decisions have direct impacts on healthcare delivery.

What course topic has been most interesting to you so far, and why?

MM: The “Health Systems and Policy” module has been the most eye-opening. It challenged my assumptions about healthcare, teaching me the complexities of health systems and the importance of stakeholder analysis. Understanding how various components like hospitals, healthcare professionals, and financing mechanisms interact to achieve system goals has broadened my policy perspective.

The course has given me a deeper understanding of healthcare systems and equipped me with tools to help me think strategically about policy development, stakeholder engagement, and how to address social determinants of health. This knowledge has been directly applicable to my roles whilst working in the NHS.

What has been most challenging about the course?

MM: One of the biggest challenges has been the analytical components, especially those related to health economics and evidence-based policymaking. Coming from a non-quantitative background, I initially felt apprehensive about engaging with data and statistics.

Before starting the programme, I wish I had known the importance of having a foundational understanding of economics and statistics. Having a background which leans towards qualitative subjects, the analytical components, especially in health economics and evidence-based policymaking, were initially challenging. Modules that required the use of quantitative tools like meta-analysis or health technology assessments felt overwhelming at first. I also didn’t anticipate how crucial understanding data would be in crafting effective health policy, especially when addressing health inequalities and resource allocation. Having some prior knowledge would have made these aspects more manageable from the outset.

However, through modules focused on analytical tools like meta-analysis and health technology assessment, I’ve become more confident in using these methods to inform policy decisions.

What do you hope/intend to do after you graduate?

Mizan with colleagueMM: After graduation, I intend to continue working as a policymaker in health, with a focus on reducing health inequalities. My goal is to address systemic inefficiencies and create more equitable access to healthcare, particularly for underserved communities. By applying my policy expertise, I hope to shape policies that promote fairness and sustainability, ensuring that everyone, irrespective of their background, has access to quality healthcare.

And one final thing you would like readers to know?

MM: I’d like to highlight the value of group working with a diverse set of peers from various professional backgrounds such as medicine, public health, and social work, has opened my eyes to different perspectives on complex issues. This has expanded my understanding of healthcare challenges and offered alternative perspectives to health policy issues.

For instance, discussing case studies with someone who has a background in public health has enriched my understanding of the practical implications of policy decisions, while insights from a social work perspective have emphasised the importance of considering the human element in policy design.

Moreover, I’ve found that these interactions have helped me build a professional network, that I anticipate will be invaluable in my career.

Find out more about the postgraduate Health Policy MSc