Designing inclusive healthcare – my experience as the Julia Anderson Helix Trainee

In our blog series, we present the captivating stories of the fourth cohort of Julia Anderson trainees. As an impactful initiative at the Institute of Global Health Innovation (IGHI), the Julia Anderson Training Programme (JATP) provides people with little or no prior work experience with paid work experience. Last week Rao shared her story as the Programme Operations Trainee. Today, we will introduce you to Beatrice, the Julia Anderson Helix Centre Trainee, whose passion for making healthcare more accessible and inclusive has led her on an incredible journey.

Getting to know me

My name is Beatrice, a trilingual girl from Hong Kong who can speak English, Cantonese and Mandarin fluently. Despite growing up surrounded by skyscrapers, I have always felt a deep connection with nature and developed a strong love for outdoor activities such as hiking, snorkelling, kayaking, and cycling. Traveling is my passion, and I’m always on the lookout for budget holidays that allow me to immerse myself in local culture and cuisine.

children running outdoors
A cherished outdoor moment from my childhood

In my spare time, I am the secretary of the University of Bath Mahjong club, where I indulge in the fascinating world of this tile-based strategy game popular in many Asian countries. Playing Mahjong with my friends brings immense joy, and there’s nothing better than winning a round and earning a well-deserved dinner treat!  

Me in Venice, Italy

Pursuing my Passion

My journey has led me to the University of Bath, where I am currently pursuing a BSc in Psychology as a third-year student. Bath’s enriching academic environment has shaped my understanding of human behaviour and nurtured my passion for making a positive impact in the field of mental health.

Beyond the classroom, I actively engage in extracurricular activities that have broadened my horizons and allowed me to give back to the community. One of the most rewarding experiences has been volunteering at Shout, an online text-based crisis hotline. Though I’ve only completed a few shifts, the opportunity to provide support and be there for individuals in their darkest moments has been deeply fulfilling. It has reinforced my commitment to advocating for mental health and the importance of accessible support systems.

As I continue my academic journey, I strive to integrate my psychological knowledge with real-world experiences. By participating in university societies and volunteering, I enjoy working with people from diverse backgrounds. I am now further developing my skills through the Julia Anderson Training Programme at IGHI.

My application journey 

Discovering the Julia Anderson Training Programme (JATP) was a serendipitous moment as I stumbled upon it while browsing through my university’s career page. Intrigued by the programme’s description, it didn’t take long for me to realise that this was an opportunity I couldn’t let pass.

What was it that attracted me to apply for the Julia Anderson Helix Centre Trainee role? It was a perfect alignment of my values and interests. The project’s focus on addressing health inequities resonated deeply with me and I was excited by the thought of being able to contribute to a meaningful project that aimed to make a positive impact in healthcare. Moreover, the JATP encompassed both my existing research skills and my desire to learn new skills, such as design, and so it felt like the ideal platform for both personal and professional growth.

Despite applying during my final exams, I managed my time effectively and performed well throughout the process. One aspect that I am particularly proud of is my “proudest achievement” presentation during the second-round interview. Unlike traditional interviews, the Julia Anderson Training Programme prefers understanding applicants better by using a strength-based way instead of a standardised CV. In a creative twist, I presented my story of ‘Moving to a New Country’ to the panel in a storybook format, allowing my personality and creativity to shine through. It was a memorable experience that showcased my unique approach to storytelling.

drawing depicting Hong Kong with the text 'Our story begins in Hong Kong... and for our protagnist this was home.
My presentation slides of the proudest achievement: ‘Moving to a New Country’

Embracing captivating projects

As a Julia Anderson Helix Centre Trainee in the Design Strategy team, I’m thrilled to work on two exciting projects: one focuses on outpatient appointments and the other involves improving patient and public involvement and engagement (PPIE) within research.

In the outpatient project, I get to come up with cool ideas to make it easier for people to go to their hospital appointments. We want to understand why some people miss their appointments and find ways to help them attend. It’s all about making sure everyone can access healthcare when they need it. As part of the project, I listen to researchers and collaborate on creating a resource hub aimed at assisting IGHI researchers in enhancing patient and public involvement and engagement (PPIE).

Working on these projects is very rewarding, I learn new things every day and feel so engaged in my work. It’s amazing how my ideas and designs have the potential to make a real difference in people’s lives and healthcare. The team I work with is fantastic! They welcomed me warmly and always encourage me to do my best. I feel valued and inspired to push my creativity and skills even further.

“Being a Julia Anderson Helix Centre Trainee at IGHI is a dream come true. I get to be part of making healthcare better for everyone. Every day is a new opportunity to learn, grow, and make a positive impact on people’s lives.” — Beatrice

Besides my main projects, I also get to help out with other cool things in the Design Strategy team and the Helix Centre. From writing about our work to coming up with new ideas, there’s always something exciting to do! Being a Julia Anderson Helix Centre Trainee at IGHI is a dream come true. I get to be part of making healthcare better for everyone. Every day is a new opportunity to learn, grow, and make a positive impact on people’s lives.

Navigating the path ahead

My future career path is still taking shape, and I am excited about the possibilities that lie ahead. This programme serves as a catalyst for gaining valuable insights into potential career paths and the type of work environment where I can thrive.

Currently, I am considering career paths that merge my interests in behavioural science and clinical psychology. These fields offer opportunities to delve deeper into understanding human behaviour, addressing mental health challenges, and making a positive impact on individuals’ lives. Cultural contexts play a crucial role in my aspirations, as I am keen on exploring how research and design can be tailored to diverse cultural backgrounds, ensuring inclusivity and effectiveness.

While my interests primarily lie in these areas, I remain open-minded and curious, considering a wide range of possibilities. The JATP provides me with a unique vantage point to explore various career paths within the realm of global health innovation. It offers exposure to cross-disciplinary collaboration and the chance to work alongside experts from different fields, broadening my horizons and inspiring me to think beyond conventional boundaries.

This blog series has been written by Rao Fu, Julia Anderson Programe Operations Trainee. Join us as we delve into the extraordinary stories of our fourth cohort trainees of the Julia Anderson Programme at IGHI! Stay tuned for more captivating journeys and inspiration from the trainees’ unique perspectives.

The last trainee’ s blog post can be accessed at:

Find out more about the Julia Anderson Training Programme.