Breaking barriers — My path to becoming the Julia Anderson Change Lab Behavioural Science Trainee

In our blog series, we present the captivating stories of the fourth cohort of Julia Anderson trainees. As an impactful initiative at the Institute of Global Health Innovation (IGHI), the Julia Anderson Training Programme (JATP) provides people with little or no prior work experience with paid work experience. Last week, Beatrice shared her unique journey as the Helix Centre Trainee. Today, we have the pleasure of introducing you to the last trainee, CJ, the Change Lab Behavioural Science Trainee, determined to pursue her dream of becoming a clinical psychologist.

Discovering my true colours

My name is Calea-Jay, but you can call me ‘CJ’—that’s what my friends and family call me. Growing up in the lively neighbourhood of Peckham in southeast London has shaped me in so many ways. I’m an INTJ-T personality type, which means I tend to approach things with an analytical and strategic mindset.

When I was younger

Life hasn’t always been a smooth ride for me. I’m open about my experiences with EUPD (Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder), also known as BPD, which has presented its share of challenges. This means I feel intense emotional fluctuations, moments of fear, and insecurity. But it’s also taught me resilience and the importance of personal growth. Another thing that makes me who I am is my dyslexia, which has shaped my journey and helped me understand the world from a unique perspective. Plus, I’m proud to be part of the LGBTQ+ community, which has been an essential aspect of my identity.

In my downtime, I’m all about manga, anime, and music. I’ve got a soft spot for K-Pop, Dancehall, and RnB. I love experimenting with different cuisines in the kitchen ­- Caribbean and Japanese foods are my absolute favourites!

My trip to Jamaica, where my family is from

Paving my path one step at a time

My experiences at the University of Brighton have been instrumental in shaping who I am today. Currently going into my third year, I am pursuing a BA Hons in Psychology and Criminology. This multidisciplinary programme has allowed me to explore the complexities of human behaviour and delve into the intriguing world of criminology.

In addition to my studies, I find immense fulfilment in giving back to the community through volunteering. I am actively involved with Pathway to Health, a charity clinic in Brighton. At this clinic, we provide alternative therapy through ear acupuncture and mental health support for individuals dealing with drug and alcohol misuse. These interactions have been deeply rewarding and enriching for both me and those I support.

As I combine my academic pursuits with my volunteer work and university engagements, I was excited to embark on the Julia Anderson Training Programme at IGHI. The programme’s focus on health and innovation resonates deeply with my aspirations, and this experience is really shaping my journey moving forward.

Embracing opportunities: my application journey towards the JATP

When I discovered the Julia Anderson Training Programme (JATP) at IGHI, it seemed tailor-made to my interests, aspirations and passion to make a difference in the field of clinical psychology and behavioural science. While I had a strong understanding of Imperial College’s reputation, getting to know the IGHI’s work made me even more enticed to join their team and I was motivated by the opportunity to be part of meaningful projects that could truly impact global health.

Finding a first job in the fields of clinical psychology and behavioural science, where experience is often required, can be difficult. However, the JATP offers a chance for individuals with little to no experience to work alongside seasoned professionals on projects aimed at improving global health. Access to training and mentoring, along with networking opportunities, gives trainees like me the chance to expand our skills, learn from different perspectives, and nurture our passion for research and behavioural science.

As someone with no prior experience in professional roles, the application and interview experience were both exhilarating and nerve-wracking. But, the recruitment process of the JATP is very impressive, particularly the decision to anonymise applicants and their educational institutions. This approach ensured an unbiased evaluation, providing everyone with a fair chance at the roles.

Making a difference through behavioural science

As a Change Lab Behavioural Science Trainee, my primary focus is to support my team in implementing behavioural intervention projects aimed at improving global health. My responsibilities span a wide range of tasks, including conducting literature reviews, analysing data, conducting interviews, and preparing co-design workshops. Additionally, I collaborate with various companies and the NHS to foster partnerships that enhance the impact of our initiatives.

“My work experience so far with the Change Lab at IGHI has been immensely fulfilling. I enjoy every aspect, from collaborating with like-minded individuals to engaging in behavioural intervention projects. The supportive and encouraging environment within the team has been invaluable, allowing me to grow both personally and professionally.” — CJ

One of the current projects I’m engaged in is “Digital Consent for Surgery” in partnership with Concentric and Behavioural Intervention. Currently, the adoption of digital consent forms is low, despite their known benefits. Our aim at the Change Lab is to better understand the barriers to adopt and design interventions that improve usage. One such intervention involves implementing an electronic ‘pop-up’ reminder for surgeons during patient consultations, or a league table system that allows them to compare their performance with colleagues, utilising the gamification approach.

My work experience so far with the Change Lab at IGHI has been immensely fulfilling. I enjoy every aspect, from collaborating with like-minded individuals to engaging in behavioural intervention projects. The supportive and encouraging environment within the team has been invaluable, allowing me to grow both personally and professionally.

In the future, I am planning to compete a Master’s in Psychology and Neuroscience of Mental Health  and I plan on becoming a clinical psychologist — which I’m sure will be a fulfilling journey filled with self-discovery.

This blog series has been written by Rao Fu, Julia Anderson Programme Operations Trainee. Join us as we delve into the extraordinary stories of our fourth cohort trainees of the Julia Anderson Programme at IGHI! The last two trainees’ stories can be accessed at:

Find out more about the Julia Anderson Training Programme.