Impossibility!!

Hi everyone, this is my first blog which means I am very excited. I will like to use this wonderful opportunity to wish a happy mother’s day to all the mothers .

This week was a very interesting week as some of us had the opportunity to go to the Precision Medicine Symposium, 2013. This year’s focus was on Breast cancer; some of the brightest minds in the field had the opportunity to present some insightful and seminal work. Again, I obviously loved being there.

This is one of the perks of being a PhD student at Imperial College London (ICL). It feels like everyone here (at ICL) believes everything is possible and I personally think there is no better way of approaching science as a new PhD student.

This reminds me of a story, up until 1954 no human had been able to break the 400m world record. Everyone believed it was physically impossible to run it in less than 4 minutes. Once Roger Bannister broke the mark, everyone’s perception changed. Today over 20,000 people have been able to run 400m in less done 4 minutes, which also includes high school students (so don’t blame it on sponsorships, better training, etc….excuses, excuses!!!!!) . Well my point is start believing anything is possible, and it will be the beginning of accomplishing the impossible. This symposium was also a confirmation of this!!!

ROGER BANNISTER breaking the 400m record in less than 4 minutes

Well, I will stop writing now (since I just keep rambling on), I got the new book of Barbara Kingsolver (Flight Behaviour) and a cup of tea. I guess, you can guess how the rest of my evening will go ;). Until next time….. P.S.  The book is really good (so far!)

Richie