Ducks and Snakes

Fuuuuuuuuuu

ouch – I was really hoping this would work (and I assume that import PhD won’t work either…), but it seems I really have to write this post … I guess I’m definitely getting too accustomed to Python!

All hail Emperor Duck

I’ve been programming a lot recently (as expected, given my project…), as my comrade Emperor Duck attests.
I’m mostly using Python, a really neat, readable and powerful programming language designed by cool cats for cool cats.
If the myriad of programmers expressing their happiness online and the barrage of compliments present on the first descriptive paragraph of its Wikipedia article are not sufficient to express how cool it is, I think this xkcd comic should suffice.

From times to times I also deal with slightly nastier things, like R (Nharrrr), Matlab or SQL (just remember that L and Hell are homophones).
To ease the the pain, besides relying on powerful nootropic substances (caffeine, theanine and theobromine, all FDA approved, nothing illegal and shady going on here! )as  my colleagues do, I have found a really cheap trick for improving productivity – Shiny colours!

So, how does it work? Simple:
1 – Acquire Magnets.
2 – Use a text editor that highlights the syntax of the programming language you are using.
3 – Tweak the color scheme to something that’s bright and jolly enough but not too much as to make your eyes bleed or trigger epyleptic seizures.
4 – Start Programming
5 – Acquire Profit (by selling the magnets, ‘cos they are useless here)!!

Bad code...
Good Code

But  now, if you code faster (and properly), the amount of words lighting up per minute increases. The rate at which this happens will trigger neural reward circuits in your brain and a feedforward mechanism enticing you to program even better and faster is generated!  The precise neurophysiological mechanisms are still under research… and yes, I feel slightly ashamed of having to admit that this actually works.

Also, because Ducks and Snakes are not enough I’ve recently installed Spyder. Really useful.