Broadening Horizons.

A PhD in metabonomics would be a steep learning curve for anyone. So while plenty of time is spent attempting to get to grip with the fundamentals of this multi-discipline science – one must also try and find that all important balance. After all, and ever since I can remember, haven’t our seniors been banging on about communal engagement and extracurricular involvement… You know, becoming that rounded, exemplar individual – ultimately making the most of opportunities (how big or small these may be).

Imperial is initially quite good at this, for example, throughout the first year, we’ve had to attend numerous personal development workshops. The Myers Briggs personality test was a particular favourite (unfortunately though, not all were as productive and enlightening). Anyhoo, there’s only so much a university can do, with the rest firmly up to an individuals’ own resolve. So recently that’s exactly the mentality which I’ve been trying to practice – preliminarily being quite successfully (if I may add).

Thus, I now find myself part of the Metabolomics Society, holding a position on the Strategy Task Group (for the Early Career Members Network) and liaising with some of the renowned Board of Directors. Also, I find myself embarking on evening language classes with the slightest of hope that one day I may be able to fluently speak Spanish. Other marginally smaller, but just as important, endeavours see me learning Python programming and reigniting the gym! However, all this does bring up one question: how am I going to manage to fit everything in?

For all us busy people, I leave the following quote for the occasional contemplation…

“There is more to life than increasing its speed.” Mahatma Gandhi

Good Luck!

Thomas