MSI

Last time that I was reading this blog was before going to the interview for STRATiGRAD PhD. At that time, it gave me a good feeling about how 2012 cohort was doing. It was a wish to be a part of this amazing postgraduate training programme which came true for me otherwise I had no chance writing here. It is a fantastic programme since doing a PhD in many cases said to be an individual journey but here there is 9 of us; catching same deadlines and doing similar staffs. Another cool fact is despite all my other grades which I was in minority (few girls) here we are 7 (cool, brilliant) girls and 2 boys. So doing a STRATiGRAD PhD is not a solo journey but a collective, friendly journey.
I embarked into a new area of science, at the beginning; I have to get to know many terms and I felt overwhelmed but things getting easier now. I am working on mass spectrometry imaging (MSI) data sets. Currently, my goal is to classify various tissue/tumour types based on their mass spectrum. MSI data sets are large and very unbalanced when it comes to different tissue types. I am looking forwards to see whether artificial intelligence techniques can make better sense of this data set or not. This will be my first blog post. I pushed myself very much to write it. Since the blog post is not complete without an image, I put the logo of statistical society of London. The logo is a crop; I like it because I think the trend in generating data is similar to agriculture. As it started with small farms and in 19th century a massive increase in agricultural productivity and net output has happened. With data is the same, we started with small data sets and now we have the ability to quantify hundreds to thousands of genes/proteins in high throughput, more and more data is generated. However we still need to develop tools and integrate various data sets between disciplines but when we master it, it can be a very big step forward answering lots of questions.