Spotlight on: Maria Teresa Douglas, Product Owner

Maria Teresa Douglas

I’m Maria Teresa Douglas, the proud Product Owner for Data and Analytics here at Imperial.

I joined Imperial in January 2023, and in my role, I have the privilege of driving the development and enhancement of data and analytics products that fuel innovation and insights across our esteemed institution.

It’s an exciting journey where I get to leverage the power of data to enable evidence-based decision-making, which helps individuals at Imperial unlock their potential.

“Together, we will shape the future, where data insights drive transformative change, and our friendships make the journey even more meaningful.”

How did I get here?

Maria Teresa Douglas at the ICT ExpoI arrived in the UK in my early 20s, with little English but a passion for technology and embarked upon a degree in Computer Science.

On the back of this I have spent the past 25 years working in technology and data analytics for various companies; IBM, Microstrategy, Bank Santander, Sony, and Sainsbury’s. This journey has been a remarkable one, with each step contributing to my growth as a tech leader.

My homeland was originally Peru, once the home of the Incas. Funnily enough the Incas had an ingenious system called ‘Quipus’ for collecting and encoding data. They used intricate knotted cords to keep records and convey information, so maybe it’s in my DNA to work with data!

“It’s in my DNA to work with data!”

My future aspirations

As I continue my career path at Imperial, I am dedicated to fostering a culture of innovation and data-driven decision making.

My vision is not only to empower every member of our institution, but also to create a community of colleagues and friends who support and uplift each other.

Together, we will shape the future, where data insights drive transformative change, and our friendships make the journey even more meaningful.

My advice

To all aspiring women in tech, let me share with you the guiding principles I follow, drawn from the wisdom of inspirational figures.

“Be fearless in pursuing your dreams, ambitious in setting goals, and resilient in the face of challenges.”

Surround yourself with supportive allies and never forget your roots and the strength they provide.

Be fearless in pursuing your dreams, ambitious in setting goals, and resilient in the face of challenges.

Together, we can shape a future where women thrive and leave a lasting mark in the world of technology.

Want to join ICT?

We have some great and diverse roles in ICT, and we are always on the look out for the best tech talent.

If you want to join our team check out our current job vacancies.

Check out our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion pages and find out about or activities to remove barriers and create a great place to work.