Spotlight on: Kadijatu Kamara, Data Analyst Apprentice

Kadijatu Kamara

As a Data Analyst, I build and develop analytical dashboards and reports that provide valuable insights to support Imperial in accomplishing its mission. I’m committed to actively participating in our data strategy, which aims to foster a data-driven culture.

In ICT’s Data and Analytics Product Line, we are currently working on improving the way we utilise and leverage data within Imperial through our enhanced Unified Data Platform (UDP). Additionally, we also empower teams across the university by utilising the Power BI tool to enable business intelligence, supporting better decision making.

“Starting anything new has no expiration date. What truly defines your path is your enthusiasm and commitment, not your beginning point.”

How did I get here?

After graduating from university in 2019, with a bachelor’s degree in mathematics, I was unsure about what I wanted to do next. As a result, I decided to take a gap year to explore my options and see if pursuing a Master’s degree was the best path for me. During this time, I developed a strong interest in both finance and the tech industry.

While pondering my next move, I accepted a position in finance for a few months, only to discover that it didn’t entirely align with my goals. I had the fantastic opportunity to join Imperial as a Data Analyst Apprentice in September 2022, which has been highly rewarding for me.

“Being a part of the IT industry has been really exciting because it is constantly evolving, offering me new challenges and opportunities for personal development.”

Kadijatu Kamara in the ICT kitchen discussing technology Working as a Data Analyst offers me a sense of fulfilment knowing that I contribute to shaping Imperial’s decision-making processes.

Being a part of the IT industry has been really exciting because it is constantly evolving, offering me new challenges and opportunities for personal development.

My future aspirations

One of my future aspirations is to undertake roles where I can lead and manage data projects. Furthermore, I am eager about sharing my skills and experiences with women who may be hesitant to enter the tech profession.

My goal, whether through mentorship or blog postings, is to encourage and support others on their tech journeys.

My advice

Starting anything new has no expiration date. What truly defines your path is your enthusiasm and commitment, not your beginning point.

“Believe in yourself, stay optimistic, and remember that your goals are within your grasp.”

Want to join ICT?

We have some great and diverse roles in ICT, and we are always on the look out for the best tech talent.

If you want to join our team check out our current job vacancies.

Check out our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion pages and find out about or activities to remove barriers and create a great place to work.

One comment for “Spotlight on: Kadijatu Kamara, Data Analyst Apprentice

1. a very interesting and inspiring read! from one mathematician who saw the future of data in 2005 and took the leap to another, I think you’ve made a wise choice! And thank you for sharing! 🙂