Professor Spencer Sherwin has accepted appointment as Head of the Department of Aeronautics with effect from 1 October 2022, for a period of three years, in succession to Professor Paul Robinson.
Professor Sherwin joined Imperial in 1995 as Lecturer in the Department of Aeronautics and was promoted to Professor of Computational Fluid Mechanics in 2005. He is currently the Director of the Research Computing Service on a fixed-term basis which ends in September 2022.
Professor Sherwin’s research focuses on the development and application of parallel spectral/hp element methods for solving partial differential equations. Through open source software his group performs direct numerical simulation, implicit large eddy simulation and stability analysis on a range of problems of relevance to aeronautics, biomedical flows, offshore engineering and vehicle aerodynamics.
Professor Jonathan Mestel, Professor of Applied Mathematics in the Department of Mathematics, has been elected as Senior Consul for the period 1 September 2022 to 31 August 2023, to succeed Professor Richard Jardine.
Professor Mestel is currently the Staff Representative on Council and a Proconsul. He will stand down as Proconsul once he takes up the role of Senior Consul. He had previously served as College Consul for the Faculty of Natural Sciences and the Education Office.
The full list of Consuls for 2022-2023 is set out below:
- Senior Consul: Professor Jonathan Mestel
- Faculty of Engineering and the Business School: Professor Ann Muggeridge
- Faculty of Engineering and the Business School: Professor Alessandro Astolfi
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and cross College organisations: Professor David Evans
- Faculty of Natural Sciences and the Education Office: Professor Martin McCall
- Faculty of Medicine: Professor Miriam Moffatt
- Faculty of Medicine: Professor Liz Lightstone