I am the Audio Visual (AV) Installations Manager for Imperial College. I manage and control the delivery of complex technical installations in both new buildings and room upgrades/refurbishments.
I take responsibility for ensuring the needs and requirements of the users and departments are met and any change is delivered on time.
I am a subject matter expert on all AV matters at Imperial, representing this technical discipline as required within Imperial and at external events.
I coordinate with support partners and external suppliers to predict the College’s requirements and manage this to match market supply chain availability. I help ensure that our students and staff have access to an evolving suite of products that meets their AV needs, as well as aligning future investments and technologies in a manner that supports the university’s overall progressive business strategy and desire for innovation.
“Show off your accomplishments, ask for feedback and take criticism as a positive.”
How did I get here?
You could say that I ‘fell into’ AV. I joined Imperial as the Technology Manager in the Business School back in January 2003 where I was looking after IT in general. When the new building was being built, we discovered that the AV as designed wasn’t fit for purpose. Someone decided that AV was “techie, computer stuff” and so the problem was passed to me to solve. I did what was asked and installed AV equipment that met the School’s needs. On the back of this success, I was given 35 rooms across campus to upgrade to the latest standards. This has snowballed into taking on more and more upgrades across lecture theatres, meeting rooms and teaching spaces to the extent that I have needed to establish a team to provide ongoing technical support.
I now have an amazing AV Team who I would be lost without.
I have been at Imperial for 20 years! But before Imperial I had a number of different career highlights including;
- Lotus Notes Database Administrator, Allsop LLP, London
- PA to Residential Director/Lettings Co-ordinator, Allsop LLP, London
- Media Assistant, The Collins Partnership, London
- PA to Research Director, Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, London
- Assistant to Account Holders, Russell Warren Advertising, London
I also managed to squeeze in a year out to go travelling across the Middle East and Australasia
My future aspirations
I am really excited to understand how the student of today and tomorrow is going to interact around campus with the technology in a variety of different spaces and how collectively we can make that experience more seamless, more enjoyable, more exciting and stimulating for the students.
Not just in the context of one room or a particular technology it’s the whole eco system!
“Don’t be scared to speak out.”
I have learnt a lot in my 20 years at Imperial and here are some great tips I have to help you in your career:
- Never stop learning or networking.
- Show off your accomplishments, ask for feedback and take criticism as a positive.
- keep a good work/life balance and don’t burn out.
- Attend industry events to learn from others.
- Don’t be scared to speak out.
- Caroline won the 2022 Highly Commended staff Collaboration and Communication Award for Collegiality as she embodied the spirit of one team working, planning, and delivering together towards our shared vision through effective networking, collaboration, and communication.
- Caroline took part in women@imperial week, discussing her career further in this webinar video and write up – ‘Never be the one to tell yourself no‘.
Want to join ICT?
We have some great and diverse roles in ICT, and we are always on the look out for the best tech talent.
If you want to join our team check out our current job vacancies.
Check out our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion pages and find out about or activities to remove barriers and create a great place to work.