Consultancy, Baby!

So now we’re on to the most exciting part of the programme – Consulting! Real companies, suits and boots and a whole lot of competitive bidding action. This year, we have been provided with briefs from a range of different companies varying in size, geographical location and industry. The big trade-off our group meetings were centred around is whether to go for the prestigious brands or the smaller start-ups, given that the former could provide a great CV boost, whereas the latter could involve campaigns that have a much bigger impact on the chosen business’s performance. But the key is to really understand which skills of the team as a whole are best suited to the projects on offer.

With the bids now in, I’m playing the waiting game, fingers crossed I get my first choice! But whatever happens, this summer is going to be a whole lot of fun as we get to pick our own groups so the synergy this term around is much higher; so much so, that our last meeting was stretched out over a cosy 12 hours in bed with Innocent Veg Pots and Sushi to keep us going. All consumed in bed, of course. Nothing unusual there.

And at the end of all this, I’m hoping to confirm what they say about consulting:

“If you’re not part of the solution, there’s good money to be made in prolonging the problem”

More on Imperial students leaving their little bubble and hitting the ‘real’ world in my next post!