Seth Jethwa, Support Services Supervisor, Central Biomedical Services  

Seth Jethwa

“I feel that I am contributing to the research community and science as a whole.” 

I am qualified in Animal Care (BTEC National Diploma) and started my career at Huntingdon Life Sciences as a Support Services Technician. I learned more about water quality and gained further expertise, including being involved in a study testing and collecting data on air quality machines. Following this experience, I moved to Imperial to work as Support Services Supervisor for Central Biomedical Services (CBS), Imperial’s animal care facility, at the South Kensington Campus.     

Here I am responsible for the day-to-day running of the CBS central cagewash facility. I ensure that the technicians and researchers have clean and sterilised equipment ready for use. I keep the cagewash machines going and troubleshoot problems and issues. My work is important to ensure that both staff and researchers have all they need, exactly when they need it. I’m often reminded of just what it means to my colleagues when we receive thank you cards, messages and gifts from researchers. I feel that I am contributing to the research community and science as a whole, as well as looking after the animals’ welfare. 

For the animal’s enrichment, we add in items such as play tunnels, chew blocks and cardboard houses. Also, we give brine shrimp to the zebrafish as an enrichment too. This is how we contribute to the 3R’s – Replacement, Reduction and Refinement. 

Outside my job, I help at a local cat charity with my partner Kasia, including fostering cats in our home. We also have three of our own cats. When I’m not busy helping others at Imperial or playing with our cats, I enjoy building Chinese Lego kits.