Eleonora Moratto, Research Postgraduate, Department of Life Sciences

“Imperial has been an incredibly supportive environment for both my scientific and artistic pursuits. The framework here has allowed me to thrive and grow in both areas.”

I am currently pursuing my PhD in the Department of Life Sciences at Imperial. I have been a part of the Imperial community for several years, having completed my Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences here. During my undergraduate studies, I became captivated by the world of fungi and its role in plant evolution. This fascination led me to pursue two MRes degrees, one in Molecular Plant and Microbial Sciences and the other in Molecular and Cellular Biosciences.

My research as a PhD student is focused on plant-pathogen interactions. I am investigating the impact of electric fields on these interactions. With the world’s growing population and the challenges of climate change, food production needs to be increased. However, pathogens and pests pose a major threat to crops. I am exploring alternative ways to combat these threats, without resorting to chemical pesticides. My research is focused on a tropical pathogen called Phytophthora palmivora, which is responsible for damaging crops such as cocoa and oil palm. I am studying how this pathogen responds to electric fields and whether this response can be exploited to keep it away from plant roots.

In addition to my research, I have also been involved in initiatives related to SciArt and women in science. I am a professional ballet dancer and was a finalist in the Dance Your PhD competition, where I explained my research through dance. I was also nominated as Woman of the Month by the European Platform for Women Scientists, which was a great recognition of the impact my scientific and artistic work is making in the world. Imperial has been an incredibly supportive environment for both my scientific and artistic pursuits. The framework here has allowed me to thrive and grow in both areas.

Looking ahead, I am excited to complete my PhD and continue exploring ways to make food production more sustainable. I am also eager to share the wonders of science and art with the world, which I do in part through my website, The Biology Ballerina.

Discover more from Imperial people

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading