New Faculty of Medicine website
After a few exceptionally busy months, we relaunched our Faculty webpages on Friday 17 January 2014.
The new website has been in development for a while to showcase the work of the Faculty within our main research themes. In order to do this, research landing pages have been developed and the old and out of date material removed.
Our research on film
A large and exciting part of the project was to produce a high quality video for each ‘research landing page’ to more easily communicate what the Faculty is doing in each main area of research. Whilst the filming was completed in late-October (thank you to all that were involved!), the editing process took a bit longer than had been anticipated – trying to cut down the footage filmed in half in order to fit into the time allocated for each video was tricky.
We produced 13 videos in total: 11 for the research themes, another to give an overview of our research and one to better communicate how, through the AHSC and NIHR Imperial BRC, the Faculty translates its research.
Other objectives for the website were to:
- Improve the homepage:
- making it easier to navigate to key content
- better promote news, social media activity and other content
- increase awareness of the Academic Health Science centre and our other strategic initiatives
- Improve the way we are communicating research across the Faculty:
- Creating a much improved “Our research” landing page
- Better communication of the AHSC, NIHR Imperial BRC and other strategic partnerships and initiatives
- Review, reduce and re-prioritise content:
- Changing our main navigation
- Culling old, out of date and unused content
- Audience focussed architecture:
- Re-purposing “teaching” into “Prospective students” giving a better overview of our courses / education and in particular our Master’s degrees
- Better information / signposting for Staff
- Better content for the “about us” section
- Preparation for the College website re-design / CMS project:
- Details below
College website re-design project
With the new College website design and content management system (CMS) on the horizon, we have taken the opportunity to review content, and where necessary, cull out of date, old and redundant pages. This will make transferring to the new design and CMS a much easier, and less time consuming, process.
By using Google Analytics data (and information on when pages were last edited), we reviewed page views etc to decide what content was clearly not being visited and where content was extremely old, removing it from the website.
- Web forum 21 January – blog and recording
- Further information about the College website redesign project
There is still work to be done to further improve the website and we are looking forward to getting to grips with a new content management system and college website design in the coming months.
We’ll be in touch with website editors and owners in the coming months to discuss and plan how the wider faculty website transfer process is to happen.
If you have any comments or questions, please use the comments section below.
James and Al
Digital Communications Team, Faculty of Medicine