Rhiannon Penny, Placement and Internship Adviser, Careers Service

I graduated from the University of York in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and have stayed in higher education ever since. I’ve always been interested in looking at society and the various factors that can impact how it is constructed. Considering areas such as how important your career is for your sense of self and future, led me into higher education student support.

I am currently a Placement and Internship Adviser within the Careers Service at Imperial. Prior to this, I have had various student support roles within the Careers Service department and Student Engagement, looking at the student journey and their various transitions. My father is an Imperial alumnus and has always spoken about studying here with immense pride – so having the opportunity to support current students on their journey is extremely rewarding.

My colleague Norma McEnery and I represent the Placement and Internship Unit within the Careers Service and jointly manage various experiential learning schemes for our students. These include schemes such as Charity Insights, Work Shadowing, SME and start-up internships and Alumni Mentoring. Every day we get to meet with ambitious and interesting students who are at the forefront of cutting edge innovations in their industries. Within our schemes we have had students support alumnus in their research overseas; design and create wheelchair accessibility spaces; and support in the development of next generation treatments for cancer.