Dr Albert Busza, Clinical Imaging Facility Manager, Department of Brain Sciences 

“I’ll work with the radiographer or physicist to see if I can optimise a scanning method so that we can help the researchers with their studies.”

After getting a degree and PhD in biochemistry, I worked as a postdoc in magnetic resonance spectroscopy. This led to ten years working in industry before I moved to Imperial to manage the Clinical Imaging Facility. 

We are a small department with an MRI scanner and a PET scanner supporting research performed by the College and external groups, such as the NHS and clinical research organisations. The scanners help researchers answer questions such as how the brain functions following traumatic injury. We help the researchers to develop or refine imaging techniques to address their research questions. 

Although the technologies used by the scanners are very different, they are complementary. The MRI can be used to assist many clinical diagnoses, whereas the PET scanner, which uses radioactive tracers, is mainly used for research studies, including cancer and dementia. There are numerous ways of innovating with MR images and, if the scanner is free, I’ll work with the radiographer or physicist to see if I can optimise a scanning method so that we can help the researchers with their studies. 

We’re a friendly and experienced team and people have said that they like working with us. We don’t tell people what to do, but we can advise if they would like us to and we can help them navigate the regulations surrounding the use of PET.  

We are currently working on around 20-30 projects. Most of our projects are for the Department of Brain Sciences, but we have also worked with the Faculty of Engineering using MRI to investigate how joints react to pressure. 

Outside working hours, I’m working on getting my Advanced Driving Test which I’ve wanted to do for a while. I recently acquired a telescope and so far I’ve had fun seeing Jupiter and Saturn, and also some double stars! I intend to travel out of London occasionally to where there is less light pollution so that I can explore more.  

Discover more from Imperial people

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading