Alessandra Luati, Provost’s Visiting Professor of Statistics, Department of Mathematics

“With no hesitation I decided to apply to the Provost’s Visiting Professor programme as I totally share the aims of the initiative”

I joined Imperial in November 2022, as a Provost’s Visiting Professor of Statistics in the Department of Mathematics, so I have been working at Imperial for about five months now and I am very happy to be here. I come from the University of Bologna in Italy, where I am Professor of Statistics. I have a Ph.D. in statistics awarded by the University of Bologna, though I mainly studied in Denmark at the University of Aarhus where I developed a thesis on statistical inference for finite dimensional quantum systems. I then got a fellowship in time series so my main research interests, since then, are in mathematical statistics, time series and recently nonlinear dynamic models.

With no hesitation I decided to apply to the Provost’s Visiting Professor programme as I totally share the aims of the initiative, to broaden Imperial’s already outstanding reach by bringing in academics with an international reputation that belong to underrepresented groups. In my specific case, as a female professor in mathematics, I am proud to be part of the programme’s vision.

Taking part in a panel discussion on Women in STEM – International Insights during Women at Imperial Week was enriching and emotional for me. My work as an academic is my passion, and I can nourish it here with new colleagues bringing different perspectives on my work, and with the enthusiasm of sharing and exchanging ideas with younger or more experienced scholars from diverse backgrounds.

Outside of work, I love living in London and spending time with new friends and colleagues. I like reading, watching movies and going to plays, but I carefully select what to read and watch. To keep mens sana in corpore sano  I walk and try to be constant in my yoga practice.