Mateo Akel, Undergraduate, Faculty of Medicine

“I believe technology has the potential to democratise healthcare, making it more accessible and effective for the wider population.”

My name is Mateo Akel, and I am in my third year studying BSc Medical Biosciences at Imperial. I’m originally from Lebanon. My journey to Imperial was fueled by two passions: a deep interest in the human body, and a keenness to explore how technology can transform our understanding and healthcare practices. This year for my third-year project, I seized an opportunity to work with the Medtech startup FundamentalVR, where I honed my skills in 3D VR modelling—a field that intrigued me, but I hadn’t explored before. This placement didn’t just broaden my grasp of VR’s potential in healthcare; it equipped me with valuable skills for my future endeavours.

My out of class hours are spent engaging in powerlifting and bodybuilding—disciplines I’ve dedicated almost four years to. I also like to draw inspiration and knowledge from Andrew Huberman’s health podcasts. These activities complement my academic pursuits, deepening my appreciation for the human body’s complexities.

At Imperial, I’m involved in the Blockchain, Data and Venture Capital Society. Next year, while doing my Masters in Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Management at Imperial Business School, I plan to join the Barbell Society to compete in powerlifting. I’ve also co-founded a tech startup and am looking to expand it further with the knowledge and skill I will acquire there.

My aim is to enter the field of MedTech venture capital. Being Lebanese has made me acutely aware of the need for medicine to be accessible to everyone, not just the affluent. I believe technology has the potential to democratise healthcare, making it more accessible and effective for the wider population. I’m especially excited about the prospects of AI in this endeavour, particularly its capability to analyse DNA, which could significantly enhance our quality and longevity of life.

Discover more from Imperial people

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading