Aigun Gassanova, Undergraduate, Faculty of Medicine

“Imperial has taught me that science is not just a subject; it’s a way of thinking.”

Approaching the final term of my Medical Biosciences course at Imperial, I reflect on the journey that brought me here and realise how Imperial has transformed my life.

I grew up in a culture where science was rarely discussed in daily life, and pursuing it out of curiosity was considered unconventional. My goal of studying at Imperial was deemed overly ambitious by everyone around me. However, in 2021, I joined Imperial as an international student, armed with a passion to grow beyond myself and a determination to learn.

The structured nature of the Medical Bioscience course allowed me to explore various areas of medical research, and provided opportunities to apply my learning in diverse contexts. As part of my final year project, I embarked on a four-month placement in strategy consulting at life sciences consultancy Precision Advisors. This unique experience exposed me to the intricacies of the life sciences consulting industry, offering an intensive skill-building period that is crucial for my career. What made my course special for me was its emphasis on not only teaching theoretical and practical skills, but taking it to another level by putting these skills into practice.

As I approach the final chapters of this academic journey, I am grateful for my course. It has introduced me to the world of medical research and provided a glimpse into the dynamic environment of the life sciences industry. Among my proudest achievements is my personal growth. Imperial has taught me that science is not just a subject; it’s a way of thinking.

Beyond academic study, my time at Imperial has been a holistic investment. From playing in the women’s basketball team, to representing my cohort as an academic representative and working as an outreach ambassador, I’ve found a balance that enriches both my academic and personal life.