CATO is part of the Imperial College Academic Health Science Centre (AHSC), a partnership between Imperial College Healthcare Trust, Imperial College London, The Royal Marsden Foundation Trust and Royal Brompton & Harefield Foundation Trust. The CATO mission is to encourage and support doctors, nurses, midwives, AHP’s, pharmacists, and healthcare scientists – into clinical academic careers. This drive within Imperial corresponds with national initiatives led by the National Institute of Health Research (NIHR), Health Education England (HEE) and others to increase and develop research engagement and allow clinicians opportunities to bring their expertise and questioning minds to the research table and contribute to enhanced patient care and outcomes. Many of the activities and resources offered by CATO are only available to people working within the Imperial College AHSC.
What CATO does
- We run free Masterclasses, events and research conferences to encourage and support participation in research
- We provide careers guidance around research careers for staff from all clinical healthcare professions
- We raise funding from internal groups and outside bodies to support research careers and develop new opportunities
- We support networking between research interested staff
- We provide guidance, information and resources through the CATO website
Where to start if you’ve been thinking about research! This FREE event is back by popular demand and will help lay out the opportunities available, i.e. courses, fellowships and clinical academic career pathways. It is open to all non-medical healthcare professionals at Imperial College London, Imperial College Healthcare Trust, Royal Brompton Hospital and Royal Marsden Hospital. For further information on how to book please contact email@example.com
- Clinical PhD Fellowships 2018 – we will open for applications to the Wellcome Trust clinical PhD programme and other AHSC specific PhD fellowships at the end of October 2017. Our schemes enable early career success by placing talented individuals in a highly supportive environment and providing each fellow with cutting-edge research projects under experienced supervision and mentorship, regardless of the potential clinical speciality of the applicant
- Post-Doctoral, Post-CCT Research Fellowship awards 2018 – funded through the Wellcome ISSF grant we offer two-year awards to talented individuals with outstanding intellectual achievements who possess the potential to become leaders in academic medicine. Applicants must be fully qualified medical doctors, have been awarded a PhD years and hold a CCT. We will open for applications to this award in early November 2017.