Andy Pritchard, Photographer and Videographer, Faculty of Medicine

Celebrating our community during COVID-19

“Since COVID-19 began I’ve filmed, edited and distributed 40 videos about COVID-19 protection for frontline staff with Dr Iqbal Malik for the European Cardiology (ePCR) response to the pandemic – one video has over 100,000 YouTube views. 

Following a BA, an MA (Video), and an MSc (Medical Illustration – Photography and Video), I started working at St Mary’s Hospital as a Medical Photographer in 1994, and subsequently filled several audio-visual roles until my current post as Photographer and Video Producer within the Faculty of Medicine. 

When I was asked to write this profile about the work I’ve done during the COVID-19 pandemic, my heart sank – after all, I’ve spent my entire professional career hiding behind the camera! So, I warn Helen Johnson, who nominated me for this dubious honour – and Jen, Lisa, Steve and Karen, who all persuaded me not to duck out of it – that you all owe me many beers for putting me through this (when the pubs re-open!). 

In brief, since COVID-19 began I’ve filmed, edited and distributed 40 videos about COVID-19 protection for frontline staff with Dr Iqbal Malik for the European Cardiology (ePCR) response to the pandemic – one video has over 100,000 YouTube viewsWe’ve even had hospitals emailing us from Brompton to New Zealand requesting permission to use one of these COVID-19 videos, which has been really nice to help out with.  

I’ve also been making clinical and communication skills videos to meet GMC guidelines for new doctors and undergraduate teaching and am involved in making conventional and immersive videos for the College’s undergraduate virtual Open Day.  

Finally, I’m working with various teaching fellows and hospital departments to develop video resources for online teaching in obstetrics-gynaecology, musculoskeletal-orthopaedics, and surgery. 

As befits a photographer, I can offer you two further snapshots of my experiences: driving home at 7pm on a Friday night, and realising that Piccadilly was deserted except for me and finally, delivering a socially-distanced replacement keyboard to a colleague who’d spilled orange juice over their laptop!