Wunmi Agunbiade, Finance Manager, Library Services 

“Since the start of lockdown there have been over 160 items ordered and distributed to our colleagues’ homes, as well as plentiful supplies of PPE ordered in preparation of the Library’s reopening.” 

I was Fees Supervisor at Scope for three and a half years where my section was responsible for bringing in 45 per cent of Scope’s £100 million annual income. I then moved to UCL Union where I was the Deputy Finance Manager for 7 and a half years before moving to Imperial in March 2009 as the first Finance manager for Library ServicesI was in this post until 2014 when I was also made the Finance & Facilities Manager – now covering finance, facilities and being the departmental safety person. 

As Library Safety Officer, when lockdown first started I made sure that the Central Library building was safe and properly closed. As Library Finance Manager, I have ensured that colleagues received the necessary equipment they needed to work from home. During the College closure, I visited the building several times to gather office chairs and computer equipment and arranged for these to be couriered to colleagues working remotely. In fact, I started this before any other department and quickly identified that City Sprint was cheaper to courier items from College – this was later adopted across Imperial.  

Since the start of lockdown there have been over 160 items ordered and distributed to our colleagues’ homes, as well as plentiful supplies of PPE ordered in preparation of the Library’s reopening. I have also been part of the Library Business Continuity Group and have been in the Central Library building taking measurements and photos of the building. This was necessary so that plans could be started for building re-opening with social distancing measures in place, such as signage and safety equipment. 

I feel that my colleagues and I must be doing something right during lockdown as we have had a tremendous amount of emails and calls thanking us and praising the support we have given. I must say that I was surprised at being nominated for Imperial People. 

At the beginning of lockdown, it was strange trying to adjust to working from home with family around. Interruptions from my two young boys while trying to work was a little frustrating in the beginning as they were excited and happy to have me at home. 

As well as being on a rota for delivering food and essentials to the vulnerable in my neighbourhood during lockdown, I have long been coordinating collections and deliveries of charity goods to be sent overseas. I am also a keen gardener and grow a few fruit and vegetables such as carrots, beetroots, corn and potatoes. I’ve also got apple, pear, gooseberry and blackcurrant trees and have just added a lemon tree which is growing beautifully.  

Discover more from Imperial people

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading