Kwaku Duah-Asante, Undergraduate, Faculty of Medicine    

“I am particularly passionate about ensuring that access to institutions like Imperial, is attainable to students from a greater array of backgrounds”

I’m a fifth-year medical student here at Imperial. Born and raised in South-East London, I am of Ghanaian heritage.   

I chose medicine as a career due to the ability to impact a patient’s life and the positive contributions doctors make to society.    

My journey so far in medical school has been enriching. I’ve met a lot of amazing people, developed massively as a person and have also been fortunate enough to carry out amazing work such as a research project in Uganda. Our research looked at the effect on malaria of discontinuing the use of the antibiotic, co-trimoxazole in people with HIV in the country’s biggest hospital, Mulago Hospital.  

I’ve also been able to carry out work on matters dear to me such as being a StreetDoctors volunteer. Street Doctors is a charity that teaches lifesaving first aid to young people at risk of violence. Specifically, it provides training on what to do when someone has been stabbed and when someone is unconscious. I was fortunate enough to have my story as a StreetDoctors volunteer told in a campaign with the National Lottery and Lad Bible, which amassed over one million views online.   

Looking to the future I am excited to continue my volunteering roles working with youth from similar backgrounds to me. I am particularly passionate about ensuring that access to institutions like Imperial, is attainable to students from a greater array of backgrounds regardless of their race, upbringing and social class. In the future I hope to become a surgeon.